Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you remember about your first baseball coach?"

I couldn't tell you what year it was that I played for him or even how old I was at the time, but I vividly remember the effect that he had on calming me down and letting me know that everything was gonna be OK when I was about 25 and my dad was having open heart surgery the next day.  Pure coincidence that him, his wife and a their grand daughters were walking into the grocery store that I stopped at on my way home from the hospital that night.  I saw them walking in when I was pulling into the parking lot, once inside I saw them down another aisle and called out to them a few times but didn't get a response, finally called out "coach" and he turned around.  We talked for just a few minutes, all while one of his grand daughters was pulling on his shirt wanting to know who I was.  Still amazed at the calming effect that conversation had on me a decade or more later.

I also remember damn near crying like a baby a his funeral a few years later.  Probably had the biggest impact on me outside of relatives and one of the big reasons that I got into coaching.