Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you remember about your first baseball coach?"

Ok, so my very first coach?  We moved from Kentucky to the general area I live in now.  I was 10.  I didn't have a ball glove and dad found one in the trash.  It was for a left-handed thrower.  The local recreation director heard about my brother and I and asked us to sign up.  We did and I was placed on his son's team.  It was terrible.  They had not won a game and there were only 2 games left in the season.  He told me I didn't know how to wear my glove.  LOL  I explained to him that I was right-handed.  He asked me what position I played and I told him pitch and catch.  I didn't know the names of positions.  He started me as a catcher since they supplied the catcher's mitt.  We lost but I did pretty well.   Then, comes that last game and I am the pitcher.  I had never pitched before but I could throw really hard.  I hit a player in the first inning in the ribs and he was crying as he took 1st base.  From that point on, no one wanted to step into the box.  We won!  That single game made me a hot commodity for next year's player draft.  This coach was also young and not married.  I think he was still in high school.  This was the only year he coached and I think it was because his dad made him coach the team.  He was a good guy and actually came to watch most of us play when we got into high school.  Oh, when we won that last game, I remember a lot of parents giving him money for the treat after the game.  It was a big deal.  We got candy AND a snowcone.