Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you say?"

Jerry and BBScout, Been in the same shoes before. This summer the cross-checker for the Brewers was at the Disney Complex for a final look at my son to determine if they wanted to
up the ante before his first day of college. Son started on the mound and 30 minutes later
he was still there-couldn't find the strike zone! 6 or 7 walks, hit batter, worst control
I've ever seen and wife turns and glares at me "Tell him something!!" as though it were my
fault. He finally got the last out and I'd never been so relieved. Next inning the same thing
all over and before my wife could say anything I left my seat and went back to the concession
area to hide and there was the scout-I said "He's had better days" and scout smiled and said
"We'll be in touch".

After the game when I saw my son I could tell he wanted to hear something positive and my first response was "Guess you're going to college". He said "Yea it could be worse" and I
said "Not Much". We both laughed but my wife wouldn't talk to me the rest of the day. Go
figure.

The things that I normally say to my sons after bad outings are to try to bring up times
that I had outings from H*** and to let them know it happens to everyone-EVERYONE-noone
escapes and that the good thing about baseball is there is another game coming.

Hang In There!!!