Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you think about reentering a pitcher?"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Under certain conditions, HS baseball rules allow pitchers to leave the mound for another pitcher, then return at some later point in time.

What are those conditions? Why not spell them out?

I’ve honestly never been a fan of it, and quite honestly have only seen it done one other time by anyone other than the our current HC. Its not that he does it on a regular basis, but at least a few times every season it happens. So far this season its happened 3 times.

You've seen it done three time in all your years, and are concerned?

This last time, the starting pitcher had thrown 63 pitches in 3 1/3rd. We were up 7-2. He went to center field, the next pitcher retired the side on 10 pitches, then we scored 6 runs in our half of the inning on 44 pitches. When I looked up for the 5th, I saw the original pitcher back on the mound, and he threw another 20 pitches in that inning.

If it's in the rule book, what's the problem?

I’m not saying that was overuse or abuse, but I’m wondering what the physiological effects are on a pitcher when that takes place.

Whatever the effects are, one thing is certain: You'll refute anything someone offers.

This was the 3rd of 4 games we’d be playing in the Easter tournament. We had 2 relief pitchers on the bench plus the next day’s starter. There’s all kinds of ifs, ands, or buts about the scenario, but I’m really only wondering about the physical toll on the pitcher.

Again ... if I say no worries, and someone else says it might be a problem, you'll ask us for proof. Sorry, stats ... fool me once ...

(fun, ain't it?)