Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you think about SPARQ trying to get rid of the 60?"

If there has to be a straight line run for a baseball prospect, I would advocate the 30 yard dash. That is the MAXIMUM straight line distance a runner has to run to 1) run out a grounder to first and 2) steal any base. Unless there is a baseball field where fly balls hang in the air for 6.5 to 8.0 seconds, no one needs to be evaluated on their straight line distance 60 time. Everyone has to run to first and therefore everyone should be evaluated at that distance [90 feet]regardless of position.

The difficulty with extrapolating 30 yard speed from the 60 time is that some runners start slowly and build up speed as they run further and further; other runners start explosively and reach top speed within a few steps but never get any faster. Relying on the 60 time alone [and dividing it in half to get the 30 time] gives more speed than he has to the former and not enough speed to the later. Likewise converting a 40 time to 60 assists the later and punishes the former.

At first I did not like the SPARQ ratings as I felt they would lead to an over emphasis on athleticism and a decreased evaluation of skills by pros and colleges. But the more I read about SPARQ the better I like it. It is still up in the air whether the promoters of this system will get away from the football and basketball SPARQ evaluations and find a more baseball specific formula but emphasizing the 30 instead of the 60 for baseball useful athleticism is a good start.

TW344