Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you want out of a high school program?"

At a high level, I'd encourage you to actually coach.  Instruct.  Develop. Most HS coaches I see don't actually develop players.  They take the talent and skills that God and previous coaches gave the kids and call it good.  The run some team drills, fill out lineup cards and play with their chess pieces.

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of really good input from the great people here at HSBBW, but I'll recommend one more thing that might not come up.  Sadly, my son and our family just experienced what happens when it's not done.  Make the things that are important to your players (and whenever possible, their parents), important to you.  We found out this morning that our son was named to the state's all star game.  It's a recognition for state's elite performing seniors this spring.  The press shows up and it's a really neat way for players and their families to celebrate the hard work and performance of their kids.  I would have loved to have been there last night bursting with pride and joy for my son.  But my son's coach neglected to tell my son about it.  My son and his best friend - who was the only other player from my son's school to be named to it - found out about this morning.  I texted the coach this morning and about 9 hours ago he told me he'd look into where the communication broke down and get back with me.  That hasn't happened and we've since figured what happened.  He dropped the ball.  This is but one, but awfully fresh, example of behaviors we've seen like this.  It's a tough job and often thankless, but you're there for the kids, so I'd encourage you to prioritize the things that are important to them.  Don't make it about you.  Work to make an impression and connection that lasts a lifetime and ages well. 

Last edited by DanJ