Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you want out of a high school program?"

@Triple J posted:

As a manager of people for almost 40 years I think the following statements are paramount in building a team.

1. Communication: Always remember that even though it makes your life easier and less complicated to avoid interaction with parents, they are an important part of the team. Build positive relationships! When things aren't going as well as critics think they should, it is a great benefit to have support to get through the rough patches. Also, 15 year old children don't have money. Parents can help support your program through monetary means and have the wherewithal to do so. It is beneficial to have a large group of support instead of one or two that are donating or interacting with you to bolster their boys chance to play SS or hit in the top of the lineup. I am not saying you need to spend the weekends with families, but I am encouraging you to at least say hello and have conversations. Let parents get to know you so at least they have the feeling that you acknowledge their existence. It is always good to be courteous to parents and players, and to people in general for that matter. If your only interaction with the players and parents is yelling across the field to "catch the ball" or "just get me an out" or my favorite "just throw strikes" when things aren't going well that game, chances are you aren't building positive relationships. Provide feedback to players and parents concerning the aspects of the game the player needs to improve. THEY MAY NOT KNOW IF YOU DON"T TELL THEM. Give parents and players a 30,000 foot view of the complete player. Talk with them about academics, attitude and what the player is doing right and where improvements can be made.

2. COACH: Coaches are teachers! As many of us know, there is more to fielding a ground ball than just catching and throwing. Get into the details. There are coaches in this forum that will say there just isn't enough time, but if you want solid players that win games you have to teach beyond the basics. Show the player the correct way to field a ball and encourage them to work on perfecting their craft. They really want to know. Most of your players don't want to misfield any ball whether it's a fly ball or a hard hit liner at their feet. Show them how to be successful. You are not only helping the player but you are building a better team and as a residual, positive relationships. Provide solutions to the problem instead of only harsh criticism. Players, and really people in general will work harder for someone that cares than someone that is apathetic and only interacts when actively criticizing. It's a fairly simple concept but it still seems to escape some managers. I was at a travel ball game last weekend and a boy was struggling at the plate. He had struck out twice and was well on his way to making it an 0 for 3 game. He was 0 and 2 and the HC standing at third got his attention and yelled "you are a good hitter, step in there and drive it". The boy hit a double to the right field wall. It doesn't always work like that, because it's baseball, but a few words of encouragement can't hurt and might make the difference. Please keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, 13 - 17 year old boys are not men yet. Many of them still have some of the little boy mentality and emotions. They will be hardened by the grind of everyday life soon enough, but for now show a little empathy. Oh and by the way, if you want to expedite creating an enemy, yell and criticize a mom's 14 year old boy on the field so everyone can hear.

3. Build a program not just a varsity team: Create programs for all ages to ensure players have learned beyond the basics by the time they enter High School. Don't rely on travel ball to prepare future players as it is expensive and time intensive. Many parents don't have the time or the money. Create school youth baseball clubs for summer ball that play locally with minimal travel. Work with youth coaches to ensure the boys are getting the proper training. Providing guidance and training to young players will pay you back in dividends. While you are coaching and providing guidance to youth coaches you are building a presence in the community, and relationships with players and parents. Creating and maintaining a baseball program in your school community sends a message that you are investing in future players and have a passion for your profession. I know coaches that have created youth programs in their school community, and they were very successful.

4. Be a professional: So many times I hear coaches using profanities and losing their composure on the field. That to me is not professional. Learn to control your emotions. Use appropriate and tactful language. It is a given that players are going to make mistakes on the field, don't be shocked when it happens. I tell my boys it's not what happened, it's what happens next, (got that from Steve Springer). I expect a coach to act with some degree of professionalism both on and off the field. Lead by example.

As a parent of travel ball players and High School players I want the coaches to be honest, approachable, professional and courteous. I want them to play the best players while giving opportunity to others to grow and improve (I understand it's a balancing act). I want the program to be structured to provide opportunity for every boy that is willing to put in the work. I want the program to foster skills, academics and excellence with the ultimate goal of being a part of a larger process that creates good citizens.

Very comprehensive and very well said. I agree with all of it. Any HS coach should be able to do most of those things. The weak link in the chain, from my experience, is the ability to teach. Many HS baseball coaches don’t know the game well enough to teach it. This is especially true in large metro areas that have experienced tremendous growth. There are not enough experienced & seasoned head baseball coaches to go around when a new HS pops up every other year.