Skip to main content

Reply to "What does a letter to a JUCO Coach look like?"

dialedin posted:
posted:

He did not play for his HS team last year. He elected to play for a HS alternative team. He doesn't have a great GPA so his HS coaches weren't going to support him. He's talented but the 2 seniors were equally as talented. He never would have set foot on the field and really needed the reps the alternative team offered to prepare for summer. He has played travel baseball since he was 9. He has coaches who would provide references; should we include their information? He has not been scouted (aside from the Pirates scout who spoke with him and took his name in his freshman year when he was catching the stud pitcher on the Varsity team who threw 95+ LOL! Due to his size the scout thought he was a Jr or Sr. ). His pop-times are usually well under 2.0. But that's coaches recording it; nothing in writing. He's a big, strong, athletic kid 6'2" 205. 

Edited to add: Summer team was a disappointment. He did play a lot initially but towards the end of the season playing time inexplicably lessened. Our understanding is that the other catcher, while not as comparable skill wise (at least not yet) has more "marketability". He plays for his HS (small HS but still) and has a strong GPA. The program wants kids who will become D1 or D2 commits. It will boost their program and attract future players. I get it. It's a business. 

I was worried waiting until we had solid stats from the showcases would be "too late" since we won't have them until late August/early September. On the flip side I worry about making NO contact; what's the point of the showcase if his name isn't even on a list? We literally have no idea what we're doing so advice from those who have been there is very much appreciated.

OK, got it.  Much better info to work with.  So, sounds like he has a skill set and at least some recent reputable reference (the primary summer coach).  So, yes, contact schools prior to events this fall and try to establish some dialog.  If you have measurables worth sharing (i.e. sub 2 POP time), go ahead and do so but mention that they are not verified by a neutral third party but you will be attending showcase X to confirm and will send that info when you have it - makes for a great reason for follow-up dialog.    

When I mentioned scouts, I didn't mean to imply he was being scouted as an MLB prospect but often there are local scouts that keep track of HS and travel players who are college prospects but not necessarily MLB prospects.  They are part of a tight group that includes college RC's and HC's and they share information among each other regularly.  These guys can make for a great reference because they are usually considered a trusted source.

Is he considering playing HS his senior year or staying on his current path?  

You guys are on the right path with plan to contact schools ahead of time and get in front of them with the showcases and camps.  Videos don't have to be fancy but hopefully are fairly recent so they show his current skill set.  There are plenty of threads here on the topic of what a video should consist of - you can search those.  There is nothing wrong with asking the schools about opportunities to work out in front of them - this is sometimes feasible this time of year.  

You have time.  Execute your plan in the fall.  Then continue getting better, stronger, etc. and follow up.  To add to what others have said regarding timing, I have had several players work things out with JC's as late as July after graduation.  Not ideal by any stretch but not as uncommon as you may think.