Skip to main content

Reply to "What does an Ivy, Patriot League or D3 coach do now to fill 2021 class?"

@adbono posted:

I live in the Dallas area. The JuCo where I’m a Volunteer Asst Coach is in West Texas. So I’m not on campus very often. I do what I can from here - which is some scouting, recruiting & advising. I go to a lot of showcases - mostly in DFW but also other areas of Texas. Sometimes I have been paid but most times I opt not to be paid because I want to evaluate players that show potential not players that have been assigned to me to grade. FWIW most coaches do a pretty good job on the evaluations. To echo the point that TPM made, not once have I ever seen a D1 HC at a showcase event where coaches are being paid. If a D1 school is represented it is always a non-paid guy and usually the lowest guy on the ladder. I have seen D2 HCs at these events but the majority of the schools are D3 and JuCo - and these schools recruit heavily at these events. I imagine that many of you already know all this but if you are a newcomer to HSBBW, there you go. 

Hmm, not saying I don’t believe you but I suppose the “legality” regarding their pay must be documented somewhere in the NCAA. I’ll take a look when I get a chance but in the meantime if someone has it please post it here so we all can be enlightened.

As far as attendance, most definitely head coaches and paid assistant coaches attend  showcases, not only those put on by third-party organizations and individuals, but also those put on by themselves. And in many cases the check the player submits to attend is made out to the HC. I am sure he pays people out of this fund (unpaid assistants and others) but I don’t know whether he gets any of it.

So clearly someone receives money when a HC attends Showball (and for those that haven’t attended they are ALL head coaches). And also Stanford Camp. And others my son has attended where HC’s were present WITHOUT any of their assistant coaches being there at the same time.