Skip to main content

Reply to "What does "go where loved" look like in your experience?"

My son got his share of "we really like you, what's your upcoming schedule" and such.  Lots of texts and calls over a period of months.  But we didn't feel the love.  

Then School Number 1 came along - They followed son for a long time and saw him play probably 20 times.  They talked regularly.  When we met on campus he said "We really like the way you play, leadership...blah blah blah... we think you can contribute right away... blah blah blah... here's what we're offering" - it was an extremely generous offer, beyond my expectations by far, for 4 years.  He said take all the time we need, there's no deadline.  Wow.  I had one question for the coach - how many players graduate in 4 years.  His response - "very few to be honest.  If he's still with us after 4 years and hasn't graduated I'll pay for the 5th".  That's what I call love.

School Number 2 - similar discussion as school 1 but more and thicker.  He followed my son from Georgia to AZ all summer.  They talked after each tournament.  When we met on campus he said my son was his first offer and wanted to build the class around him.  He couldn't offer money (Ivy) but guaranteed to get him accepted, which was all we wanted.  This time my wife had one question - "It's not easy to get to the airport from here, how is he going to come home for Thanksgiving?"  His response - "If he needs a ride I'll drive hime".  That was some good love right there.

He decides to go to School Number 3.