Skip to main content

Reply to "What does "go where loved" look like in your experience?"

Can you expound on the roster game?  

Sure.....

Several of the schools my son spoke with that showed above more than just casual interest, when we started researching roster attrition and the number of players on their fall roster (playing the roster game) it became clear that they were looking for quantity, not quality. We had one school that had 106 players on their fall roster. Their were several others that were 65+. One RC at a NAIA school made it clear they wanted him and made a big push his Jr year, watched him play several times, texts, contact with his HS coach and travel coach. The RC ended up leaving the program, my son contacted The HC to start the convo with him directly, HC had no idea who he was. HC invited son to the school to workout and get a look. They did end up showing interest, but after our visit it was clear there was friction between the academic department and baseball. Academics was the #1 factor for my son choosing a school, 2nd was playing baseball. He chose a school that fit very well academically and gave him a true chance to play 4 years of baseball. The school typically has 42-45 on the fall roster. Everything the coach told us aligned with the history of his tenure at the school, as it pertained to opportunities to play and academic support for the student athlete. He was clear that he doesn’t over recruit. My son was swimming in the D2, D3 and NAIA pond. He ended up at a D3. I hope I answered your question.