Skip to main content

Reply to "What does: "he can always go to college after his career" really mean"

I think many of the comments do not apply directly to many of the individuals involved.  When one starts talking about passing on a high academic school for MiLB and then describes what roadblocks present themselves to pursue that same level of academia after their career, they are referring to a select group of individuals.  If you bring the academic level down a notch or two, the discussion tends to even out somewhat.  Also, the discussion about $2 million bonus ending up at $500k seems a little drastic.  I would think one could still easily stash away $400k from a $1 million bonus after six years which would include a $1k (tax free) monthly stipend during the 72 months (that is wild money as everyone knows MiLB players can get by on their MiLB salaries and summer jobs).

If you want to be an engineer or a doctor, then the discussion of post-career schooling becomes exceptionally important.  If you want to enter the workforce with a good job, then there are many more opportunities at reasonable prices assuming you have some level of drive to achieve.  If I could waive a magic wand, I'd have my kid drafted, have him play several MLB seasons, maybe get the big contract, and then maybe then enter medical sales when they develop the artificial UCL, plug and play.  Lots of lunches and golf to go along with the MLB stories.