Skip to main content

Reply to "What does the college fall semester look like?"

This conversation is going the way most of the others have, which is to say I know people don't intend to get heated/political but it's understandably tough and eventually the discourse seems to devolve over time.  I will say that I know that everyone one here has an amazing shared interest and we all want to get to that place where we can return to that shared interest as soon as possible given our collective love for it.  Obviously HOW we get there is not collectively agreed on, hence the discourse breakdown.  Just a reminder to consider that as we delve into these discussions, which seem inevitable given the realities of our current landscape.  

On that note, two "food for thought" items.  One piece focuses on "Centralized Quarantine" which is much different than the far reaching lockdowns we are currently engaged in.  https://covid19.osinthk.org/2020/04/29/five-steps-to-eradicate-covid-19/.  From my POV, this makes a great deal of sense and seems to bridge the gap on some of the disagreements I've seen on this page and elsewhere.

The other is a current snapshot of Westchester, NY.  It's clear that in far reaching outbreak scenarios, if you can sustain a legitimate quarantine, you will reduce cases in 4-6 weeks significantly.  I certainly don't wish this were the reality, or believe we will have to sustain it once we further reduce the daily case load, but we now have clear evidence that it does work if properly maintained. 

To bring this all together, given these two items, I think we will see a return to school in many areas of the country come Fall.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0186