Skip to main content

Reply to "What gives HS stats a bad rap?"

quote:
Originally posted by Stats4Gnats:
Be honest. How many times have you looked at your “scout sheet”, seen the opposing batter gets lots of XBHs, then hollered to the OF and IF to move back, then come up with a plan for the pitcher to somehow not allow the batter to make solid contact, any more then you normally would?

I could not have been more honest. If we are playing a non-league, tournament or playoff game where we do not know the opponent, I will look at the MP #s to see if there is anything to be learned just as I listed.

It is certainly not the only way we size up our competitors. You can see speed during warm-up jog/sprints. You can see a good power swing in the on deck circle as well as an inside out swing or a long swing with holes. You can pick up on a P's stuff, control and location preference as he warms up. You can watch a catcher throw down and determine skill level and whether you can run on him. You can watch 3b move and throw and determine if you can bunt on him or not... and on and on.

The MP #s are just one of many tools you can use if they are there. Absolutely, if a guy shows power #s, then shows a matching swing on deck, we'll be pitching him carefully and postioning OF's accordingly. If a guy has a high K ratio, you're darned right we'll have P flip some curves off the outside corner early in the count whereas we're not going to do that with a kid who has a low BA but high BB per AB. If a guy is 13 for 14 in SB's, first we're not going to walk him. Then if he gets on, we're holding closer and considering pitchouts. If a guy has no SB's and a body to match, we're not going to risk throw overs or waste the P's attention on the guy. I don't consider this "in-depth analysis" or "micro-coaching", I think this is just top level basics.
Last edited by cabbagedad