Skip to main content

Reply to "What gives HS stats a bad rap?"

quote:
Originally posted by Stats4Gnats:

You said “If a guy has a high K ratio, you're darned right we'll have P flip some curves off the outside corner early in the count …”

I look at that and wonder if there’s any consideration given to the situation, or the pitcher’s ability to execute.

Yes, of course there is consideration given to the situation and ability to execute. I was answering your question and offering up how we generally use the information available to us, specifically MP #s. It is ususally not practical for us to go scout unknown opponents in advance. That's another reason why we exract what we can from MP for such an opponent. We are just a decent mid-tier HS V program and our P's certainly understand and are able to execute with reasonable success the act of throwing a breaking ball that starts in the zone and falls out. 100% execution? Of course not. Doesn't mean you don't teach them to execute the game plan based on what you know about your opponent.

Again, I am a bit confused by your argument. You typically are a champion for stats that are several layers deep and I always argue that, at HS level, it is only practical to use top layer stuff and just as supplementary info to what you see on the field. Now you are skeptical that it is worth the time to do the analysis??
What's got into you?
Last edited by cabbagedad