Skip to main content

Reply to "What gives HS stats a bad rap?"

quote:
Originally posted by cabbagedad:

Hi Mc,
You asked three questions...

Am I one of “those” parents?

If you know the staff is not inclined to post on MP, have asked and been told they don’t want the stats posted and you continue to work toward encouraging/facilitating having them posted then I would guess that you are well on your way to being perceived as such to your son’s coaching staff. You don’t want that. Your son does not want that.

Is there reason enough to work towards... the posting of HS team stats?

No, particularly not if the staff does not want them posted.

Is there meaningful recognition... (for) playing at the next level?

On the occasion that it exists at all, it is pretty far down the list. MP is used consistently in some parts of the country and not in others. College coaches are aware of the wide range of competition and the inconsistencies of HS stats. They are very reluctant to put any weight on them. Typically, your son is not going to get noticed because of his HS stats. He will get noticed because he is talented enough to play at the next level and someone recognized that by seeing his skill set in person. HS stat results are not necessarily an indicator of that skill set. As a pitcher, does he have the stuff that will translate to college success (velocity, movement, location, demeanor, athleticism, etc)? Is he projectable? Does he excel or stand out against high level competition and/or at high profile showcases? These are the things colleges will look for before checking HS stats.
If they do check at all, it will likely be just to verify accuracy of any info he provides in any dialog. Also be aware that if he does get noticed, at some point the college coach or recruiter may very well be asking the HS coach about him. You’ll want to be sure that you haven’t created any negative coach/parent relationships that may affect what the coach has to say about the player.

Look, I understand the disappointment in not seeing your son’s successes posted next to those of his friends. At the end of the day, if he’s good, he’ll know it, his friends will know it and you will know it. Trust that any deserved recognition will eventually come his way.

In my previous posts on this thread, I describe how I, as a HS coach, use MP info as a tool when playing against another HS team. This is quite different than trying to use this info to determine if a player can play college ball or not.
Hope this helps...

Cabbagedad, Thanks!! That is exactly what I was looking for. Trust me I don't want to be one of THOSE dads. His coaches are a great group of guys that work well together. I was just a little concerned that as a small town HS we might be missed if not included in MP stats. I have benefited so much from this site as cautioned about letting my son working things out with his coaches (multiple sports) and I just provide transportation to and from the school (slightly overstated, but you get the point).

I have been a long time proponent of publicizing the stats especially for travel baseball where there are dads coaching. It seems to me that it takes tons of pressure off the coach when everyone can see the data that supports the coache’s line-up.
Thanks again!