Skip to main content

Reply to "What happened to your kid/you on 9/1 of your Junior year?"

Back in the day...coaches officially started calling my son July 1.   I remember it like it was yesterday.  We were at PG WWBA in East Cobb and his phone rang at 8am and didn't stop until the late evening.   This went on for a couple days then stopped.   We were already familiar with some of the teams calling as his travel coach had been in communication with them, but there were a few my son found out had been following him without his knowledge.   Of course, all of the recruiters told him how interested they were and they'd be touching base on a regular basis to check in, and to reach out with any questions....blah, blah, blah.  So initially this activity and interest got my son excited (which is not an easy thing to do) but eventually months later this led to the realization that these guys will make many promises but rarely follow through.    My son quickly learned to believe in what they do,  not what they say.

What was interesting is that my son (previously) didn't have a reason to listen to all the wonderful advice his mom and dad had suggested....keep a notebook to log conversations with coaches, create a one page resume to give to coaches, etc....   Now, he had a reason and a much greater practical understanding of why he needed to do these things because his parents were not going to do it for him.   He needed to take the lead on his recruiting efforts.

Good luck to all going through the recruiting process!

Last edited by fenwaysouth