Skip to main content

Reply to "What HAVE we done?"

I’ve followed the rules and no more. I don’t like wearing a mask. But I don’t fight it. I hold it over my face when I enter the store. I hold it in my hand if I’m not near anyone. Once, a women ran down the aisle I was in and started screaming at me. She’s the only person I’ve been resistant towards.

When I’m working in the morning I’m home alone. I haven’t seen my better half  for five months now. She’s with her 92yo mother in Florida. I can’t travel down and walk in the house. She has to be careful about walking out.

I prefer dining outdoors as soon as it’s warm enough. I’ve dined out every week in either Maine or Massachusetts. My friends aren’t taking day to day risks as I’m not. A mask is only needed at the hostess station. If Dunkin was open inside I would be in  with my regular acquaintances. I’ve always sat a table away. They’re long time buddies. I read news and join the conversation at times. We sit at the picnic tables outside. I stay away from the one person who is proving to the world he’s not wearing a mask anywhere. On rainy days I’m sitting in Panera. It’s never busy. 

I’ve been notified five times I’m in a COVID trace line. Every time it’s been the 20 something adult kid (or one of their friends) of my friends who tested positive. None of my friends (my contacts) have tested positive.

As always I’ve done a lot of biking. I started earlier this year and I’m biking further and faster. It’s driving me nuts I have to take off two weeks. I was in an accident last week when a car decided the bike lane could be used as a passing lane. Fortunately, I know how to fall. I only broke two fingers and tore finger ligaments enough I’m in a soft, taped cast. Maine had an order people had to wear masks off their property. After a week of hassling cyclists they stopped. 

As I’ve gone back and forth between Maine and Massachusetts I’ve told my Maine friends I’ve been in Massachusetts. No one has objected to seeing me. I’ve told them not to be afraid to tell me not to get together. I haven’t gone into the city or been on public transportation. The three town area I’m in on the North Shore of Boston  (Nahant, Swampscott, Marblehead) is less populated than the area I’m cruising in Maine (Falmouth, North Windham, Portland, South Portland, Cape Elizabeth). But, while Maine has only had 120 deaths Essex County alone has had 1,200.

One thing having MLB to watch has reminded me is how boring MLB baseball can be if your team isn’t a contender to win it all. I won’t watch the NBA since it’s a social justice rally with basketball as a side show. Fortunately the Stanley Cup playoffs start tomorrow. 

Other than not seeing my significant other or traveling to see my kids every two or three months life is mostly back to normal. I had to cancel a trip to Israel and Jordan. But, we’ll go next year.

Last edited by RJM