Skip to main content

Reply to "What HAVE we done?"

My wife and I have lost a number of relatives, friends and acquaintances to this virus.   Most of the relatives were older and didn't know what was going on.   The sad part is they are sitting in a morgue somewhere, and there has been no celebration of their lives or opportunity for the family to grieve together.  My mother in law is in a senior home by herself and essentially not allowed to leave her place.   Her husband was gathered up by his sons and daughters and taken away from her to live with them two hundred miles away because they thought he was on deaths door.   He was never asked if he wanted to go live with them .  Now, they can't return him without a 14-day quarantine.

We've done everything to protect ourselves during this pandemic.  Mostly, we've had to "lay it on thick" to my oldest son and daughter in law who moved to New Jersey during the height of the pandemic in the NYC area.  When they left Virginia, my son kept telling me this thing will pass quickly and they'll be okay.   A couple weeks later he called me to tell me how serious this is in NJ/NY/CT and he is taking every precaution.   So, at the least I'm glad I opened his eyes.   My middle son's wedding is still scheduled for late October, but not sure how that is going to work out.   He may end up going to the justice of the peace, and throwing a small party (with masks) in his backyard instead.    My youngest is in the military and they have an interesting process of testing, protecting their soldiers.   

My parents live in a very nice retirement community an hour away.   I haven't seen them since Christmas.  My wife had to cancel a trip to the Galapagos with her sister in March, we've cancelled our trip to Ireland in September.  I was really pissed about that, but we've made other domestic trip plans.    The Europeans have wisely chosen not to let Americans in, and made controlling the spread job #1 across multiple independent countries.   Well done Europe, and I would have done the same thing if I were you.

Bottom line is this has to be a country wide effort.   Many parts of our society are doing the right things, and not allowing it to spread in certain areas.   However, the bottom line is it has to be everyone (young & old, north & south, east and west) doing there part or it doesn't get done.  Everybody has to make this job #1, and stick with it.

Last edited by fenwaysouth