Skip to main content

Reply to "What HAVE we done?"

I appreciate this topic, DanJ thank you. 

Fenway, excellent post.   To everyone who has lost friends and family, I am sorry. As many are aware, I live in one of those 3 hot bed counties in South Florida.  I also live in a retirement community, which has been very strict regarding masks and social distancing. Of the thousands that live here, only a few have passed away, only about 30 have become ill.  I am fortunate enough to have not lost any family member or friend from the virus. I have had 2 COVID tests as well as serum for antibodies. It's offered and encouraged in my community to control the spread of the virus and paid for by my Medicare part B. Yes, I am one of those people often talked about, how we should stay inside and let the young live their lives!

My husband almost died from kidney failure in early February. He had double pnuemonia, hospitalized three times, the last because his kidneys were failing due to all the prednisone he was on.  He is a severe asthmatic. So because of that, he stays close to the house, I have had to be very careful where I go and who I see. My husband is a Medicare representative, some very elderly now, so we make sure that we speak to them regularly and in some cases my husband speaks to  their family members who are far away from their parents. He has not lost 1 client.  He also is a Life Coach and speaks to homeless vets he has found homes for, and makes sure they take advantage of their benefits.  I spend part of my days making sure my elderly neighbors, who are alone are ok. I was suppose to work the polls this year, but that can't happen.  We do our part to help the greatest generation have something to look forward to daily. Even a phone call is appreciated.

I have worn a mask, since day 1.  We see our kids regularly, we sit on our catwalk outside and have dinner, drinks, laughs.  But we stay apart and wear masks, as mandated by our community. We often go to my daughter's who has a beautiful home and a beautiful patio so social distancing is easy, but we still wear masks. They have 2 teens so we don't go inside. They both have their circle of friends they are close with so they are careful where they go and who they see as well. Son is back to work, and preparing for the team to come back in a few weeks. We don't go to the gym but we find ways to exercise outdoors but it is extremely hot these days.  No vacations this summer and my daughter and I canceled our annual birthday trip. 

I don't sleep well at night, I feel like I am in a nightmare and can't wake up.  My last memory before this began, arriving at the stadium for a game against Penn State, seeing everyone, their players and parents crying because there season was over and they could not play the game. I felt terrible, little did I know that the next day all sports would be canceled. I am very disappointed in how poorly our government  has handled this nightmare.

I am in agreement with Fenway, we are in this together  and we all need to do our part. Everywhere. I am amazed how simply wearing a mask makes some people fill with anger and rage.

To those who comply, thank you.