Skip to main content

Reply to ""What have you done for me lately?""

quote:
Originally posted by Jewels4Baseball:
Ken--question for you.

In your opinion, can a hitting instructor at this level really control a player/teams plate discipline? Short of the 3rd base coach giving the "take sign" on the first pitch (and how often does that happen), are hitters at that level really influenced by their hitting instructor as far as plate discipline?

I can tell you this. I worked closely with Rudy for 3 years. He, by far, had more respect from any player than any player/coach relationship I've witnessed in the game.

Rudy could tell those hitters anything and they would buy into it.

Why? Because he had their complete respect.

How did he get that respect? I think because he could jump their *** when they needed it, and hug them when they needed it.

Rudy understood mechanics, but he also believed confidence was the most important tool in hitting.

He would stop at anything to help a player in the cage, on the field before a game, video, whatever.

Did that translate to better mechanics or production? I think so.
But what I do know is that those players believed they got better and they believed Rudy truely tried to help them. In the end, that's all that matters. A player has confidence when they know they worked hard and have a coach on their side to help them.

To answer your question directly...I don't think any coach has complete control of a player.

But I don't recall any player showing even a glimpse of not buying into Rudy's offensive game plan or his personal hitting techniques.

Rudy was unique. A hard nosed dude and could blend with any culture.

I played college ball with his nephew Tony. As a freshman, I'm not ashamed to say he was my hitting coach as a senior. He made me believe in things that I never thought I could do. I really believe he had a big part in me being drafted. I believe Tony coaches in professional baseball now as well.

The game has changed at so many levels. Responsibility isn't on players anymore. Excuses are allowed, and coaches are to blame. It goes on in MLB all the way down to 5U TBall.

I know Rudy wanted to stay close to home and his family, but I think a move is necessary for him to be truely appreciated.

I can gaurantee you this, there will be several players in that clubhouse very unhappy about this. I'm interested to see some interviews tonight on the tube.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie