Skip to main content

Reply to "What have you learned"

I had a level of respect for my son as I am sure you all have of your own son. No one knew the real man inside the boy/youth/young man but God. As the freshman & sophomore years have come & gone, I have an even greater respect for my son, the man. A respect that grows daily.

During the fall of each of the past three years, he wakes earlier than most college students around the nation. Probably earlier than most of us & he works out with his team-mates before attending class. Stays up late completing course requirements, then does it again the next day & again & again until the coach says your done.

During the spring of the past two years, he has prepared himself faithfully, mentally & physically to step on the rubber & face some of the best hitters his team will face. This has included nationally ranked NAIA in the pre-season, at times DII or the best DIII has to offer. This includes some of the most historically successful DIII programs in the nation.

When not taking his turn on the mound, I watch his cheerleading skills. He knows & demonstrates a pitcher is only as successfuly as the team he supports & the coaches.

I have witnessed his taking charge of his course schedules each semester. He has signed up, attended and successfully completed summer classes to maintain his goal towards completing his education on his planned schedule.

I know he continues his growth thru Christ by reading his Bible & attending church.

What have I learned?
Respect of the student. Respect of the player.
Respect of the Christian. Respect of the man.

My respect grows daily knowing that he continues this work ethic as a non-scholarship athlete.
I see in my son what the saying "Love of the Game" really means.