Skip to main content

Reply to "What I learned from 2 college baseball sons"

Awesome story!  Here is one of my stories that is very similar.  My oldest is home until tomorrow (between college and summer seasons). Yesterday he wanted to take some cuts with a wood bat so we went to hit.  On the dashboard of his truck is a cap from my old college.   The same place that didn't give him a sniff out of high school.  I thought that was kinda weird so I asked him about it.  He told me that he would leave that cap on his dash forever as a reminder of my college teammate that had coached him in the summer for three years.  Chris had given the cap to my son.  I lost touch with Chris for several years after college (about 20 or so) until I ran into him at a summer showcase team tryout.  To keep from making this a long story, I worried to death about my son playing for a guy that I didn't particularly like much as a teammate.  He had a tendency to be very arrogant and self-centered.  My oldest played for him for three summers and my youngest last summer before (my friend) passed away.  I was completely blown away by the way he handled young men and the desire he had to help youngsters get to the next level.  My two sons will forever be better men by being around him.  I actually coached the last season with him and ended up singing at his funeral.  God definitely touched this man with a gift and I dearly miss Chris on a daily basis.