Skip to main content

Reply to "What implications for college baseball?"

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:
Originally Posted by J H:
Originally Posted by Back foot slider:

JH:  college athletes profit greatly...they get to play a game , attend school at a highly reduced rate, and given an education.  

This applies to a minority of athletes. Scholarship money is rather limited in the majority of collegiate sports. Also, no one is "given" an education, class is hard work. I understand what you're saying and I'm mostly nitpicking there, so I apologize for that. This topic strikes a nerve with me.

I owe just under $100,000 in debt for my student loans. I worked very hard for my education and my collegiate baseball experience. However minimal my economic benefits would be, I'd like to have the opportunity to benefit from my skillset. I wasn't accepted into college on a "favor," my grades were good enough. I didn't receive any athletic scholarship money. 

JH....you're the perfect example of a guy who should hate this thing.  The fact that you're supporting it based on what you've posted here is confusing.

College baseball players will see ZERO money if something like this goes thru...unless you're at LSU or Alabama where games routinely draw 10,000+.  The guys complaining are primarily major college football or basketball players...that are already on A FULL SCHOLARSHIP!!!   The $100,000 in loans you have is non-existent for those guys...because they don't have any.  As I said earlier, it's not the guys like you who went to class, worked hard and got a degree that are pushing for this...it certainly seems geared toward guys who don't take care of their educational issues, don't graduate and don't have any realworld job possibilities when they finish (or leave) school.  Why would you want to go to school....pay for your own education and get a degree and sit next to a kid getting a full ride PLUS money...who is barely passing the same classes  as you?  

Interesting point. As I mentioned in my reply to Back foot slider above, I believe in true market capitalism. In essence, the NCAA is all but eliminating EVERY bit of that. Would I benefit directly from a change in the system? No, probably not. But someone will. If I had a skillset that is profitable, I would want to be compensated for that skillset.