Skip to main content

Reply to "what is a d3 college baseball season like?"

I think D3 is allowed 40 regular season games, plus league playoffs and regionals and world series.  A team that goes all the way to the world series can end up playing 50+ games I think.  Trinity ended up playing 54 games -- which is, I think, the number of regular season games a D1 school can play. 

I think not all D3's play the maximum allowed of 40 games. 

Seems to me that there is a big difference between D3's in cold climes and D3's in warm climes.  (Probably true at all levels).  Cold climate schools start playing actual games  later.  Almost a month later in some cases.  Plus they get lots of snow-outs/rain-outs, etc.  So they end up playing in many seasons, at least when the weather doesn't cooperate,  a very compressed schedule with many games in a relatively short time.

I guess there is one advantage to that for the cold weather schools.   The warm weather schools don't have to develop as much pitching and so don't have has many arms that they can rely on come play-off time -- when games schedules are really compressed and you need a lot of reliable arms if you are to compete.    If the weather  never forces you to bunch your games together, you probably just go with your top guys more regularly.  

Anyway, one reason that my son decided to stay West rather than go to a cold weather school that he actually liked quite a lot was that it seemed that reconciling baseball and academics would actually be more of a challenging because of the often compressed nature of cold weather schedules. 

Last edited by SluggerDad