Skip to main content

Reply to "What is a "Good Offer"?"

A "good" offer or a "great" offer, in my experience, is one presented from the perspective of the coaching staff and is an expression of how much they would like your son to play in their program.
It reflects the "best" offer they can make from the scholarship funds that are not already committed to current players. It reflects their judgment of their need at your son's position, and it reflects their assessment of the players value within the team concept and how he compares with scholarship allocations to other players based on skill.
Within the NCAA rules, very, very few programs can meet the expectations of any parent for a "good" offer, as you have presented them, Jeff. It is the rare and unique talent that might be able to look at it in terms of how much will I have to pay.
It isn't that the coaches wouldn't like to offer more. With 11.7, or less if not fully funded, and the 27 player requirements, most are working with very tight budgets and strict compliance oversight.
The only players likely to receive a "good" offer, when viewed from the perspective of how much it will cost the family, are those who go in the first two rounds of the MLB draft, and then it is MLB which is speaking in terms of a "good" offer that meets the parents' expectations.
In a sense, this is the "welcome" to the business side of college baseball. Except for unique talents, each team has a list of players at each position. There isn't much difference in them, from a coaches perspective. There is some and that is why they rank them, obviously.
Within their team framework and scholarship limits, very few players/parents will receive a "good" offer if that is defined on how much will I have to pay. If the parent's don't agree with the coaching assessment on a "good" offer, they either negotiate a little, or move to the next ranked player with that same "good" offer.