Skip to main content

Reply to "What is a "Good Offer"?"

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanrod23:
I think I may have asked this question in the past already but granted you get the minimum 25% from a baseball scholarship, can academic and other kinds of scholarship ( ie Merit, Hispanic or any other heritage etc) be added without any penalty to the Baseball program.

In simple words, Can a baseball program offer you a spot without using their baseball scholarship and use your other scholarships instead to be part of the team ( NOT A WALK ON) or they are legally bound to give you a 1 year offer.

RR23 Confused

The only way they are legally bound is by an NLI which is only given when baseball money is given. And yes they can offer you a spot without dipping into their athletic dollars, with academic money. Also many players are not even getting 25% bseball money, but rather small percentages with acedmic money making up the larger part (if criteria is met). So perhaps 25% of baseball money is a good offer these days.

You've heard of creative finanacing, now there is creative recruiting, coaches are strapped, tuition is at an all time high, and the in state player is becoming more and more attractive to programs that used to recruit more from out of state.

Putting good or great aside it should be about the best offer however, where it will fit into your economic budget, get an education and continue to play ball after HS.

I agree with Midlo, if a school is out of reach economically, one shouldn't be considering it. We did that and that was years ago, those expensive private schools quickly came off of the list, even with good offers. We were just like everyone else, thinking that our son was a talented pitcher and he should get lots of baseball dollars for it, but even in his case most out of state offers were surprisingly low. Although a good student, he was off a bit with out of state academic requirements, which still meant lots of out of pocket (don't forget it's not all about room, board and tuition either). The only reason he ended up with a great offer to where he went was to keep him from going to UF, but many programs do not have that luxury to spend money like that anymore, for those reasons.

I think that there are a lot of folks (not necessarily here) that are running into sticker shock with the little baseball money their players are being offered. Then really stuck when they don't meet out of state or academic requirements for academic money.

However, I have found that those are the parents who spent and spent on the early baseball years, for travel, for expensive lessons, tournaments, showcases, etc. thinking they will see a return with their sons talent.

It never worked that way and never will.