Skip to main content

Reply to "What is a "Good Offer"?"

I agree you have to find a school that your son will enjoy. Don't get hung up on the academics. Most guys are better getting a general education with some courses that interest him. Undergrad is not that big a deal. If he is leaning towards a certain field it might be advisable to take some courses that help towards that goal. Most change their minds in mid stream.
There are no full rides but you can make things very inexpensive.
We got a large BB scholarship and academic scholarship. Also son worked 2 part time jobs, One in a cafeteria which gave him a full free meal plan. The other was a coaching job that paid very well. Both catered to the BB schedule and both jobs were part of the great experience.
We took out a student loan because it made economic sense. The money allowed him to live a great life style. Big screen TV, nicely furnished apt and money to enjoy himself.
Where it made great economic sense was in our tax laws. He paid no tax on scholarships. The tuition is deductible as is the interest on his tax or a designated spouse\parent. My wife applies the unused tuition against her income which gets a large refund of her withheld taxes which pays off the student loan. In fact it is enough money refunded to pay 2 years of payments. So in efect there is no burden of a student loan.
I am not sure if you can do that but I would think you can.
After 3 years of writing off the unused tuition there is still a balance of approx $120,000 to be used which could last 10 years.
Look into this !
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll