Skip to main content

Reply to "What Is A Good Scholarship Offer At This Time?"

Observer 44 has hit it DEAD ON. It's about fit, which, in turn, is about everything.

My 05 was "recruited" by two D2s and a D3. The D3 had NOTHING he wanted to study so that was out. At one D2, I asked his academic chair about the core curriculum and the guy just looked at me. Goodbye school #2. Luckily, the second D2 had a great coach and a "city" campus my son preferred. His academic chair knew everything about her major, the core and also knew every one of her degree candidates. The blend (baseball and academic) came to approximately 50% but honestly, once my son said "I want to go here", I didn't care. He reports next week and we're thrilled for him.

Right now I am helping a close friend whose '06 is being recruited by 10 D1s and a bunch of D2s. They are going a bit crazy BUT the young man recently decided where HE is comfortable. It's at a great academic D1 with a strong Big East program about 1.5 hours from home. We should get a verbal next week and an early sign in November on a blend of somewhere around 25-40%. He could easily get 70-80% at a some other D1s and D2s (or nothing at an Ivy) but my friend also doesn't care. Again, the STUDENT felt when it was right.

Also, keep in mind that baseball is "one year" money while academic scholarships are four year money (assuming grades are kept up). That also factors into it. Ideally, he'll have enough baseball money to keep the program committed to him BUT the bulk will be academic to protect his full four years.

I always told my players to pick their school as if they were going to break a leg on the first day. If they aren't happy without baseball, they're in the wrong place.

Best of luck to you and your '06. This is a stressful time but it works out great if you keep your balance. Ultimately, he will give you the answer. They are not stupid just because they are young.
Last edited by 05_dad_SJM