Skip to main content

Reply to "What is considered “high academic”?"

@fenwaysouth posted:

Bingo PTWood!  Some kids know what they want to be when they grow up and welcome an academic challenge.  Others discover that they are really good at academics when properly motivated by their coaches through study halls, tutors, etc....  Others, struggle to stay athletically eligible, and figure it out later or don't figure it out later.   Parents have to listen and know their kid, because it does get significantly more complicated as you said.

The difference between my son's HA college athletic experience and my non-HA college athletic experience was significant.   I needed motivation in the form of mandatory study halls, and tutors to get me pointed in the right direction..it took 6 months.  My son was self-motivating.  Freshman year my coach was on my *ss every couple weeks all year about attendance, grades, etc...  My son's HA baseball coach looked over my son's attendance, and grades every Friday for the first month of his freshmen year (customary practice) and was never called back, ever.    The apple fell very far from the tree.

It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?