Skip to main content

Reply to "What is preferred walk on status?"

quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
Looking back my views on WO preferred or not has gotten stronger.
NOT a Chance.
4 years of college ball, degree in hand and no debt is priceless. Glad we held out for a scholarship. Preferred is a word used to talk a player into showing up with no money involved.

So its all about the money?

There are many things to think about here. We consistently preach on here to make the college itself a big part of your decision. There are some colleges in which I'd be willing to spend my money on in order for my son (or daughter) to get the best possible education for their situation. It might be due to the academic reputation of the school, a unique program (e.g. architecture, performing arts, etc...) in which my son/daughter has a keen talent and interest, it might be based on location...or it might even be based on the best dang baseball program around (for him) and one in which I was confident he would flourish.

There used to be a well-respected poster on here...not sure where he's gone(?)...whose son took either nothing or almost nothing to attend what many would consider a "dream school." I know from talking with his father that is was this young player's dream school...he hopes to coach there someday. Good academics, good location, good coaching, good baseball. By the time that young man left the program (4 years later), he had played in three College World Series, graduated, upped his scholarship, become the Friday pitcher and was given the highest praise any of us could imagine for our sons by the coach.

Does he have any debt? I have no idea. But I am quite certain he has no regrets.

To me, its like anything else...there are some things you're willing to pay for, some thing you're willing to pay more for...and some that need to be free (or nearly free) before you'll take 'em. Figure out where a given school fits in those categories and you'll have a good part of your answer.
Last edited by justbaseball