Skip to main content

Reply to "What is right thing to do?"

2013 - We all know there are "corners" (exceptions) of every situation that cause one to stray from a mainstream principle. There are certainly corners of the commit/decommit that are different for different people...and we can all justify our actions if we want to bad enough.

You have outlined where your "corners" are...I get it. As a 2013 dad, you will have plenty of company I believe. If you were 2015, you would have even more company. But as one poster pointed out...there is most definitely damage on the other side (i.e. the coach's job possibly).

I (and others) have outlined our edges/corners. I full acknowledge that there could be an aspect hidden that I haven't thought of or experienced that would cause me to change my edges/corners. A significant change in school's/coach's policy on scholarship renewal may be one of those.

But not bigger-state-U arriving on the scene after a 'commitment.' We went over these scenarios with our boys and they understood that wasn't going to be allowed in the door.

Similar to swampboy's story, when our younger son committed early in his junior season, the recruiting coach of his "UM" said there was just one problem with that...'Now we'll have to face you.' (Same conference). That coach followed it up with a congratulatory email and a nice comment about how much "class" he had shown in the process.

That was quite valuable to him as a young man...and to us, his parents.