Skip to main content

Reply to "What is the base award?"

Kevin A posted:

Matt- Are you confident on that? I don't recall hearing anyone say whether or not he made it to first before or after a throw.  I am positive it would be argued if it was.  I was under the impression that since it was the INITIAL play/fielder it was one bag.  I am not saying it is or isnt a rule as I dont know.  Just wondering how confident in your answer you were...

100% confident. I posted the cite above for FED. OBR is 5.06(b)(4) Approved Ruling.

And you are right--it would be argued. I had one two years ago in a collegiate summer game (OBR) that indirectly led to an ejection. R1 and R2, 1 out. Deep bunt between the mound and third, F6 comes up to barehand it but bobbles it. Everyone advances, but F1 wasn't looking at F6 and the return throw ended up dribbling into the 1st-base dugout. Now we have two runs scoring and BR awarded third on what was originally a horrible bunt. Defense argued, they end up giving up five runs and a three-run lead, and the tone was set for the remainder of the game. Ended up having to toss a batter with a case of the ass in the 9th.

Last edited by Matt13