Skip to main content

Reply to "What is the latest scouts will be looking for the 2020 draft?"

TPM posted:
LHP's Roady posted:
TPM posted:
LHP's Roady posted:
Goosegg posted:

The texts to the players is part of the scout's job. He is creating a relationship so that  - when and if the time comes - he is a trusted, close resource. Comes in handy in many situations.

Some texts from the player to the scout  may useful but the schedules upon which the scout rely's are direct with the team  - HC, RC DOps, whoever.

One of the scouts has become such a resource and has been a big help to my son.

Does your son have a commitment to a 4 year program?

No. He is keeping a handful of the top programs that have expressed interest posted as to his development. Given his age (he will turn 21 before the draft) and desire for development if he gets a fair deal he will probably go, but he is keeping the college option open. One of the clubs asked him about his concerns and he said it was food. He had heard stories about how hard it was to maintain weight in the minors and he eats a ton. The scout told him the club has chefs at every facility. I think my son would have signed for a bus ticket on the spot.

If your son has no commitment to further his education, he has nothing to use for bargaining for a bonus with any teams, and they LOVE that.

You said that your son was smart, as a two year freshman at a JUCO at 21 who hasn't played for 2 years, he should have a commitment to a 4 year program, that IMO is more important than any possibility of getting drafted.  At 21 he should have at least 3 years of school. Seriously, I am not telling you this to be mean, I am speaking from sons experience in a very good organization. You or your son know nothing about the draft, and do not rely on these scouts to be your friend.  Because they are not. 

They DO NOT have chefs at  most milb facilities. They have chefs in the ML clubhouse.  Milb have club managers who do everything from washing uniforms, grocery shopping and cooking, but they are not chefs.  And all players have to pay clubhouse dues for the clubbie.  Has he asked what a low minor league player will be paid next year?

And a lot of it depends on the team that drafts you and if they own their milb affiliate. Some organizations are better than others but I was shocked when someone told me her son ate PB & J, and played in milb in one of the richer   ML clubs.

Your son will be 21 so he can decide what path he will take, but you and he need to understand how it works. He will not get enough money to finish paying for his education, that should be his concerns, not about the food. 

Your 21 year old son might end up in a league with drafted HS students.

What if he doesn't get drafted?  What are his plans?  

Please feel free to send me a pm if you wish to discuss.  

Thanks for the information. I ran across Dirk Hayhurst, The Long Out in another thread. Son has made sure to cover his transfer eligibility stuff and has a 4 year academic scholarship to fall back on. As another contingency he is teaching himself Japanese (not kidding). I will also make sure he gets information to the schools that are waiting on it. I don't think playing with drafted HS students would be a problem for him as long as they provided a challenge. He is not a partier and most of them look older than he does with his 3 chin hairs.