Skip to main content

Reply to "What is the top hand's role in the swing?"

Mr. Jaramillo, by studying the most successful hitters in the history of the game, took what they all did and simplified it into five "roots" of success or "the five simple steps" (reverse engineering if you will). He did not invent the perfect swing. He just put it into words and a teaching process. The process I have tried to explain, as I understand it from the Jaramillos, is at the "optimum". No one does it perfectly but the closer you get to the optimum, the more success you have.

Mr. Jaramillo says that Bonds comes closer to the optimum than anyone in the game. Steroids or not, he is arguably the best hitter to ever play.

Now I'm sure every one of you have more skins on the wall than Mr. Jaramillo. So those of you that were/are a MLB hitting instructor, have played in the big's and/or are currently on a major league roster, please send me a PM so we can compare notes.

The rest of you, look at the video of Bonds and Ramirez. Quit looking at the front side. Watch their pivot leg in relation to the hands. Can you not see the pivot knee driving to the ball. Especially Bonds, watch his pivot leg start to go to the ball a split second before his hands start. It is this action of the pivot leg that gets your hands to the ball. You say hitters have to have their "hands right". Do all hitters start their hands from the same place? All their swings are not going to look or be the same with their hands because of pitch location and timing. This is what I was talking about with the natural "hand/eye" ability. Their lower half however, should be the same on evey swing with the pivot acting like the scope of a rifle. The only time you should really see the front side open up early is when they are fooled or their timing is off.

By the way, Aaron Jaramillo, Rudy's nephew, today took a team of 15 year old boys and with wooden bats, pounded out fifteen hits and beat one of the top 16/17 year old travel teams in the State of Texas 9-5. The opposing pitcher, who is one of the top prospects in the State, was consistently 88-90.

You can argue with me but you can't argue with success. However, if any of you are or have been more successful than Rudy, I will humbly apologize, ask your forgiveness, and pay heed to you for all on this site to see.