Skip to main content

Reply to "What is the top hand's role in the swing?"

That is why the Jaramillos are such great teachers. They teach the swing in "5 SIMPLE steps" and that was my point from the begining of this thread. This thread is supposed to be about "teaching" and I was trying to speak to the best "teaching method".

The original question, and probably 99.9% of all questions I've seen on this site come from parents of young players who are trying to help their baller improve. All the talk of hands/hips/rotate/foot down early/ etc. is all too complicated for a young mind to grasp and cannot be taught correctly by the average dad. It is also focusing on the front side which is like putting the cart before the horse.

While I do agree with a lot of what was said, (even by Quincy) Big Grin (based on my understanding of the Jaramillos' teachings of the biomechanics of the swing) all those points are end results of the process and you cannot effectively teach it that way. If you can get the hitter to focus on letting his "true pivot" take his hands to the ball, you will have a simplified teaching process which is easy to understand, and again, the natural hand/eye/timing/hip rotation/follow through will all take care of itself. Bonds talks about "2 feet to the ball". The swing is started and finished within a 2 foot area. Everything after contact is really deceleration which is meaningless because it has no effect on the batted ball. So with that being true, teach the "linear" process from the start(seperation)to the finish(contact)using the backside not the frontside as the driver.