Skip to main content

Reply to "What kind of specialized teams did your kid play on?"

Originally Posted by The Doctor:
My Grand daddy taught me how to throw horse shoes, a music teacher gave my daughter piano lessons, and a MLB coach told my so to be a gap to gap hitter. I see nothing wrong with learning from the best that you can aford. I don't think anyone should take a 2nd mortgage on their sons future in the Majors. But if a package of instruction  is able to be obtained why not learn from those who know.

I think I understand what 2017LHP is talking about Doc....I've seen it here on my sons teams since he was 6.  The "training" here is a bit rampant, and just a money waster and a keeping up with Jones'es scenario.  If a parent wants to take a kid out with a bucket of balls that is one thing, but spending hundreds of dollars a month on private lessons for kids to "compete" with other 12 year olds...I don't get it.

We did finally put our son in pitching lessons this year, but that was because he was throwing really hard and his elbow started to hurt.  Instructor figured out why in about 2 minutes, and I take him twice a month to brush up on how not to hurt himself.  I don't care if he is throwing 40mph or 80mph (and STILL have not radared him), that's not why I take him, I take him because he is at a point now where he could actually hurt himself.

Many of these parents take their prepubescent kids because they think they HAVE TO in order for him to stay competitive with all the other kids that are taking lessons.  Just my opinion, but if the kid is struggling so much to keep up he is probably on the wrong team.