Skip to main content

Reply to "What level? D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JC ??"

Matty posted:

This is the bio of a young man with whom my son went to HS.  He is currently playing at a very well respected D1.  

Named a 201x Rawlings-Perfect Game Honorable Mention All-American…Also garnered Perfect Game Underclassmen All-American honors in 201x and 201x...Was selected to play with both the _________ and _________ scout teams in 201x…Hit .4xx with 45 home runs in four seasons at _____________ High School…Received all-district and all-city area three times.  Played in the 201x____________Area Baseball Coaches Association All-Star game.

Some of that information is correct, but he hit 0 home runs his senior year and 1 his junior year.  Considering he was on varsity for 3 years, I don't think he hit 44 homers his sophomore year.  My son was only on varsity for 2 years, but surely I would have heard about this kid averaging almost 2 HRs per game! I also know he only had one year as all-district.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure how accurate the information is.  He's a good kid and I'm not sure who does the exaggerating, the school or the kid...maybe both.  

Another point I would like to make is that there are many reasons why a kid with great stats wouldn't be playing D1, one of which is his size.  He could be a 5'8" 145 lbs. kid who does not fit the D1 size profile.  My kid was 6'2" 155 lbs. his junior year in HS and certainly didn't look like any catchers we saw at the D1 level.  Sometimes parents need to see what is real instead of what they want to see.

Maybe the 45 homers included wiffle ball games in the back yard?