Skip to main content

Reply to "What makes pitchers successful at the HS level?"

Originally Posted by TPM:... I find no importance in HS stats, they do get mentioned at draft time, …

And it always seems to get back to this because people simply can’t separate “NOW” as opposed to what lies beyond. Of course you don’t find any importance in HS stats because you haven’t got a day to day investment it HSB! But show me a HS coach, player, or parent who doesn’t find ANY importance in them. I’ll venture a guess that when your son was playing HSB, you knew exactly what his BA and ERA were, and often thought in terms of what an at bat did to affect his numbers.

…I just don't see how anyone can measure a HS players success at the next level unless a phenom, impossible. …

I’ll try once more. The OP wasn’t about how to predict success at the next level!

What makes a HS pitcher successful is simple, winning games,  all the other stuff is irrevelant.

Do you have any idea how many HS pitchers never get a win or loss? Does that mean every HS pitcher who never got credited for a win isn’t successful?

However, keep in mind that winning at any level is a team effort, so the pitcher may not have had a successful outing but got the win because the hitters did their job. I agree that a win is a win, but the more talented one is the more it matters to coaches and scouts.

So what is it? Talent or W’s and L’s? If its talent, how do you measure it?

I was reading over the highlights of milb games this week. I know some guys who have lot of wins in their league and better ERA's than the top prospects, but they aren't mentioned much and they produce good results game after game. Same with some college pitchers.  The stats don't seem to matter much at times.

Why would you suppose that is?

Why do you keep dragging the conversation away from HSB?