Skip to main content

Reply to "What makes pitchers successful at the HS level?"

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
Originally Posted by Skylark:
... I know of two local kids right off who are tremendous athletes- hit for power, run hard, throw hard (90 mph) who werent even on any radars because of politics, poor recruiting/scouting, etc....It happens everywhere. ...but I believe most of it is just a slackness on their part (scouts) for not being completely organized in their efforts.
Say what???? In my forty-plus years of involvement in organized baseball, I have never seen a kid who throws 90 get missed on everyone's radar.  I don't care what the politics are, some scouts are going to know about a kid throwing 90, let alone two who are also tremendous athletes.

My travels have included your Pacific Northwest and I have engaged in dialog with travel and HS coaches as well as summer college programs there and they go gaga over big strong P's just like they do everywhere else in the country.

To imply that scouts are so lazy and/or disorganized that they would miss such a pair is really a stretch.  The ones I talk to are always aware of the top tier talent in their area and always asking about any they may be missing.

You hit directly onto a point I am  making. If you go and ask ten HS coaches who the best talent is you may be right 50% of the time. I have overheard conversations of scouts asking about talent and a coach give them a completely biased opinion and even intentionally say bad things about good talent as a a way of some kind of sabotage or jealousy, etc. People just are either dishonest or are completely blind. My son was recently invited to a top showcase in our area but after going to the event the previous years my son said he would rather pitch in front of Hellen Keller and passed on the opportunity because of the obvious deficiencies in the system. I am honest in how I see talent. When I get asked who i think the top talent is I always mention who I honestly think is the best based upon a myriad of factors. Its sad that others are like Hellen Keller and are just blind to it all or so far biased they might as well be blind.