Skip to main content

Reply to "What next?"

@Iowamom23 posted:

I agree with this but will offer my own kid's experience as a counterpoint. He had a number of schools talking to him. Lots of jucos, several D2s and a few D1s. He didn't really have a dream school, but when the only instate D1 program started showing interest, he obviously responded. He told everyone he would commit around his 18th birthday — in September of his senior year. Several schools were pretty annoyed that he was dragging it out and made it clear they would offer his money to someone else. He politely said "yes, you can do that. I'll make my decision on my schedule."

Early in September, Iowa made their offer. He committed. I was frantic because I assumed he would be the backup guy sitting in the pen and getting a couple of innings,  maybe, midweek. But he made the decision. Went to school, worked his butt off. At Christmas, they told him he was a "pleasant surprise." When season started, he got a couple of starts. Mid-season, picked up his first win over a ranked team. This season, was the Sunday starter when the pandemic shut things down. Some kids who had been committed since they were sophomores in high school have transferred.

Go where you're loved, but also recognize that in baseball, you have to earn the love. Be honest about your ability, and willingness, to work hard enough to do that.

I believe it’s a little easier for pitchers to climb the ladder. Improved velocity is very quantifiable on a gun. The game revolves around pitching. A player not hitting can be buried in the lineup if he plays a valuable glove position creating less opportunities for others. If a pitcher is getting pounded it’s quickly next man up.

But regardless the young player has to stay physically and mentally ready for that one opportunity. Success getting one hitter out or one pinch hit success leads to the next opportunity. Successful opportunities lead to a role in the team.