Skip to main content

Reply to "What now? Lost summer"

quote:
Originally posted by brod:
Step One: Medical opinion, surgery, rehab.

Step Two: Get better and don't worry about baseball until he is 100%

Step Three: Go to a local JC and play a year while taking transferable classes. This is just what he needs to get back in the swing of things. Then you can start the recruiting process over.

Step Four: Calm down! Injuries happen to everyone's kid. If he has talent someone will still want him, but rushing things will just screw it up forever. Many parents look on recruiting as a race to get recruited out of high school. But that is just when the race really starts. He has 5 years to play 4 in college. Take advantage of that. He needs to get stronger. This gives him the opportunity.

Outstanding advice.

I think there is an incorrect perception of JUCO's here. They are not there for dummies. I went to a JUCO for many years at night while I suported my family by working full time in the day time. Best educational experience I have ever had. I took courses like physics, calculus, chemistry, economics, english, etc. After my time at the JUCO, I was accepted into some of the top engineering schools in the country with no questions asked. When I graduated from engineering school, my degree was from that school. There was no mention of the JUCO on my degree. Just remember, english 101 is basically the same at a JUCO as it is at Harvard. Sure, there are high SAT scores walking around at Harvard but that does not diminish or cheapen the JUCO experience in any way. fanofgame's son went to a juco for one year and is now at one of the top academic school's in the nation at USC.

In this case, I don't think your son has to go the JUCO route however if you feel that is beneath him. He can still succeed athletically and academically while missing out on this summer. brod's advice about getting healthy is the key to the whole thing. Without that, all this other fretting and stewing is a moot point.
Last edited by ClevelandDad