Skip to main content

Reply to "What now? Lost summer"

The bad news is in. Torn PCL. Torn MCL. My son has missed the summer showcase season. He will be looked at again the end of September to start rehab IF he doesn't need surgery. The doctor said if he's cleared in the fall be prepared to play through the pain. If he is cleared to workout that's after four months of no BP and no sprints. It will take two or three months to get his knee and game back in order. The fall showcase season will be over. If he needs surgery that's a six to eight month recovery. He could miss his senior year of baseball.

The plan was to use baseball to get into the best academic situation. He was going to showcase in front of some of the top academic institutions in the country. None of these schools will be interested in him after not seeing him play. He doesn't have the grades to get in without baseball.

There will not be a plan to dumb down academics in order to play baseball. I won't allow it. We're not talking about a pro future. We're taking about the best education to be ready for the real world.

Chances are college ball is out the window unless he can impress someone last minute next summer and it's the right academic fit. I'm not counting on it. I have a realistic assessment of my son. He's not the jaw dropping stud colleges drool over. He's an excellent high school player like thousands of other kids in the country. The only real hope is make the right academic choice and take the long shot of walking on.
Last edited by RJM