Skip to main content

Reply to "What's a good offer? Should we hire a consultant?"

Only one D1 offer means either one coach is ahead of the curve and everyone else has it wrong or he’s not really projected as D1 ready.

Do you understand a certain academic level is required to get both athletic and a academic money? Is he at that level? Don’t worry about what percentage is athletic and academic. Consider the total package. My kids received 25% athletic and 50% academic. The more athletic money the coach has left over the happier he will be. He can pursues more talent.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t hire a consultant. He hasn’t been along for the ride. Getting a player connected to college programs is the travel coaching staff’s job.

Does your son believe he can tolerate the head coach? They’re typically not as nice once recruiting is over. Unless the pitching coach has been there forever they often come and go. If the program is mediocre staffs get fired. Up and coming coaches move up and on.

My son’s college head coach was described by a tv announcer as old school. The announcer said, “He shows up for work, opens the briefcase, stays focused, throws the win in his briefcase, closes it and goes home. Most of his players play the same way.” They did enjoy playing. Winning is fun. But my son was a head coach’s son through 16u. It requires being a team role model.

While aspiring to become a major leaguer is great with one mid major interested your son is far removed from the dream. It doesn’t mean it can’t happen. But he should be thinking forty year plan not four year plan. Only top shelf high school pro prospects should be thinking three/four year plan before being drafted. It appears this is the right school for the forty year plan.

An additional piece of advice: Research how the school that made the offer has been using the transfer portal the past couple of years.