Skip to main content

Reply to "What's a good offer? Should we hire a consultant?"

@keewart posted:

East coast-er here.  ( Kinda going against everything RJM said...)

Times were a bit different for my 2014, but after watching several friends/teammates commit to ACC/P5 schools, son committed the summer before his junior year to his first (only) offer...a mid-major.

Most of the athletic scholarships typically go to "up the middle" players.  I would think 50% would be a great offer.  Pitchers have an advantage to wait.  My son was a mid-infielder.  Knowing some of the other mid-infielders in the area, he did not want to play behind those players in college, so he went where he was wanted.

It worked out very well for him.  He started as a freshman and played every game (but one, I think) in three years and was drafted as a junior.  From a mid-major.

He did not go into college thinking he would be drafted, but I am sure it was his dream (as it is for so many).

His mid-major was a high academic college, that he leveraged baseball to get in to.  Covid, and the MLB scholarship, allowed him finish degree in 2020.

Oh, the head coach that recruited him.....left before he stepped foot on campus.

Did the offer come with a deadline to commit?

No deadline, so far. But I'm expecting one.

We have a follow-up call scheduled for next week.