Skip to main content

Reply to "What's a good offer? Should we hire a consultant?"

@fenwaysouth posted:

SpeedDemon

Your son is a lot like my son was 10 years ago except for the projected 95+. He was cruising high-80s and touched low 90's.   His first offer was from a mid-major D1 (his local childhood dream school) and then the flood gates opened for additional D1, D1 HA (Ivy & Patriot League), and D3 opportunities.  If I’m reading the situation correctly, it sounds like this D1 mid-major wants to take your son “off the market” as soon as possible.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances there is no reason for a consultant.  There are plenty of folks who have been through this on HSBBWeb and more than willing to advise and guide you and your son.  RJM is correct that your son’s travel team (and high school coach)  should be helping him & you with a marketing and exposure strategy.   

While in college, my RHP son had very little interaction with the College HC.   He worked everyday with the College PC, and they developed a great relationship over those 4 years.  So, honestly the crotchety college HC is a not a red flag in my experiences.  It is more about the players chemistry with his position coach.   50% is a great starting offer.  If your son has MLB aspirations and they have a track record for developing pitchers to that level that again sounds like a great start.

However, just be sure this is what your wants.   I would strongly encourage you to listen to other offers as they come in and do your due diligence that you’ve considered all opportunities.  As I stated earlier this was extremely similar to where my son started.   We began to explore other options, and it became clear my son was not about MLB opportunities but more about the best (engineering) education he could get while playing college baseball.   At 16 years old, we had to work with him and learn ourselves about the college baseball universe….it is vast.   It was through networking, trial & error, lots of text and emails and guidance on websites like HSBBWeb  that we figured out exactly what he wanted and where he best fit.   Never underestimate fit.

As always, just my opinion or experience.   Good luck!

Thanks.

We haven't heard anything from his club coach. That, I think, is the missing link...not clear if coach hasn't had anyone contact him, or if he's chosen not to communicate with us. Other families and players are similarly scratching their heads.  Son will follow up directly with coach after the two upcoming camps.

The HC is the pitching coach for the school that's made the offer. He has a stellar reputation for developing talent but is old school. Asst coaches told my son HC can be difficult/demanding and son was a bit put off by his gruff demeanor when they met. But the meeting did result in a scholarship offer.

"Never underestimate fit." - thanks. I will hold on to that.