Skip to main content

Reply to "What's going on with Pennsylvania college baseball?"

A huge loss in the number of programs has been widely predicted by many that are involved in operating college baseball. If I was looking for a place to play anytime from now going forward I would want to give careful consideration (at any school) to the financial stability of both the athletic department and the school in general. If a school shows a hard trend towards virtual learning I would see that as a red flag. If student enrollment were to drop sharply (resulting in loss of tuition) I would view that as a warning sign as well. Proven, stable coaches leaving a program without incident would be another cause for concern. So IMO the recruiting road has gotten much trickier to navigate. If I was presented with an acceptable option I would not hesitate to accept quickly, assuming the school passes muster. Only the top stud recruits will have the kind of options people are accustomed to seeing. Everyone else will not be so fortunate. I talked to coaches at 3 different schools  last night and ALL 3 said they don’t need any more players and can’t even imagine bringing in another recruiting class - they can’t manage the number of players they already have.