Skip to main content

Reply to "What's going on with Pennsylvania college baseball?"

@PABaseball posted:

What is going on? At smaller schools, athletes make up a large percentage of the student body, often in the 20-25% range. These schools don't make any money off these programs. So why even have them? Because they bring 40-50 bodies of private school tuition to the school, where all the students are often required to live on campus for four year and get meal plans as well. Do the math.

So rather than cancelling sports, they decided to bring all the athletes back under the idea that once Covid blew over they would resume. And rather than bringing it back they said why create expenses, the students are already here and paid in full.

I was talking to a coach who told me he only had one assistant coach. I asked how he made that work, he said it didn't, but he wasn't there to win a championship, he was there to make sure the roster stayed above 40 every year and if by some miracle he could make it work with two coaches he could easily get a promotion elsewhere. His goal wasn't to win games, it was to bring in 1.5 million in tuition against a 200k dollar budget.

Want to feel sick to your stomach? I see people feeling bad for colleges because of the financial hit they're taking. It makes you think, sure enrollment is down a bit, but these colleges don't have to provide anything either. Don't have to pay non-faculty, don't have to provide anything to students. So how are they losing money? They can't charge 15k for students to eat and live in the dorms. They're losing money because they can't rip people off. It's all a joke.

@PABaseball thanks for your insight.

Simply stated, there are different strategic objectives for private vs public institutions

In the PSAC, 3 out of 17 are Private non profit.

Gannon

Mercyhurst

Seton Hill

PSAC Conference

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PSAC Conference