Skip to main content

Reply to "What's it cost to play at your HS?"

Currently there is no activity or pay-to-play fee in our local school district.  It was discussed at the school board a few years back but was tabled for later discussion (if ever).

Some counties have gone to a pay-to-play or activity fee.  In one of the neighboring counties it's $100 per sport per student so of the student participates in 3 sports its a grand total of $300.  Fee is payable upon making the team (if there are cuts).

To my knowledge the booster clubs haven't developed  a so called spirit pack, but they are constantly encouraging participation in fund raising activities such as helping run the concession stands, golf tournaments, etc.

As in many other areas, football is king when it comes to gate fee income, followed closely by basketball.  Football games typically draw ~2,000 paying customers.  At $6/head you do the math.  By comparison, baseball barely draws 100.  Maybe 200 if the team is doing well and heading for the playoffs.  As I understand it the gate receipts go into the athletic fund and is use to support all sports though I imagine football gets the most due to the equipment requirements.