Skip to main content

Reply to "What's it cost to play at your HS?"

Originally Posted by CoachZ:

I, as coach, have to buy all the hats myself and sell them to the kids...thank goodness i have $250 that i dont mind tying up for a couple weeks. our school is a big basketball school. admission to basketball games and a booster booth (hot dogs, candy, etc.) inside the building. Baseball games are free to the public and no outdoor boosters. Basically, baseball doesnt bring in money, so we dont put money into it. basketball rules the roost here. We get 2 new bats each year, i get my stipend, and thats about it. Ive asked about fund raising before and gotten the cold shoulder. in the future, i may act first and ask questions later. the results will speak for themselves. 

When my son was in high school the coach raised a lot of money running a couple of week long summer baseball camps for ages 7-12. The parents thought it was a big deal their kids were getting a week or two worth of instruction from the high school coaches and some players for $150 per week. It was as cheap as daycare. Some parents thought attending the camp would make a difference when their kids entered high school. It didn't.